E-mail MeMichael L. Teich
Michael L. Teich is a full time trial lawyer dedicated to obtaining justice for victims and families harmed by the wrongful conduct of others. Since 1995 he has prosecuted personal injury and wrongful death cases arising from aviation negligence and airplane crashes, motor vehicle negligence and semi truck crashes, medical malpractice, defective products, dangerous workplaces and construction site errors.
Michael Teich is board certified* in Civil Trial Advocacy by the National Board of Trial Advocacy, the oldest and largest not-for-profit American Bar Association accredited trial attorney certification board in the United States. He is also board certified in Civil Pretrial Practice Advocacy by the National Board of Legal Specialty Certification. Attorneys with NBTA certification have proven ability in their field through specialized examinations and rigorous criteria for necessary experience and ethical ratings. In order to earn board certification by the NBTA Mr. Teich was required to demonstrate extensive experience in his specialty and meet rigorous objective quality standards. He is a Fellow of the American College of Board Certified Attorneys, a professional organization devoted to educating the legal profession and the public of the importance of board certification.
His work on behalf of victims has been recognized by Thompson Reuters which selected him for inclusion in its Super Lawyers publication in 2012 and 2013. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in each state are selected for inclusion in Super Lawyers. The distinction is limited to outstanding lawyers from more than 70 practice areas who have attained a high degree of peer recognition and professional achievement.
In 2012 the United States District Court for the Northern District of Illinois appointed Michael Teich as lead counsel for a nationwide group of victims of contaminated heparin-filled medical syringes. Mr. Teich pursued those responsible for manufacturing and distributing the defective medical devices in multiple lawsuits in state and federal courts. His efforts led to payment of millions of dollars to victims of the defective devices around the country.
Mr. Teich excels at cutting through confusion to help the jury see the truth and he has an outstanding trial record. He has obtained numerous multi-million dollar jury verdicts for his clients, most recently including record-breaking jury verdicts for individuals in DuPage County, Illinois ($4.1 million) and Decatur, Illinois ($3.09 million). Additional recent successes include recovery in excess of $3 million for victims of contaminated heparin-filled syringes; a $2.25 million dollar verdict for the family of a 76 year old man killed by a distracted driver; a $2 million verdict for a woman injured by a defective machine at work; a $1.9 million dollar settlement in a case involving a defective truck; and a settlement of more than $1 million for the widow of an 88 year old man killed in a vehicle crash. In December 2009, he and his partners obtained a record setting $7.1 million verdict in a case involving a regional jet crash tried in Lexington, Kentucky.
Mr. Teich is dedicated to continuing to work for justice for innocent victims of personal injury, wrongful death, negligence and corporate wrongdoing. He knows that each of his clients is seeking help during what is probably the most difficult time of the client's life, and he strives to help each client in ways that go beyond the monetary results.
* Board certification is not required to practice law in Illinois, and the Illinois Supreme Court does not recognize specialties in the practice of law.
- Illinois, 1994
- Admitted pro hac vice in Wisconsin, Kentucky, Ohio, North Carolina, Michigan, New York, and Wyoming
- All Illinois state courts
- United States District Court for the Northern District of Illinois, Trial Bar
- United States District Court for the Central District of Illinois
- United States Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
Areas of Practice
- Personal Injury
- Aviation Accidents
- Construction Injuries
- Litigation & Appeals
- Medical Malpractice
- Motor Vehicle Accidents
- Product Liability
- Trucking Accidents
- Wrongful Death
- University of California, Hastings College of the Law, San Francisco, California
- J.D. - 1993
- Cornell University
- B.S. - 1990
- Major: Applied Economics and Management
- "The Pre-Abdullah Consensus That Federal Law Does Not Preempt the Field of Aviation Safety in Tort Cases Should Remain the Law", Issues in Aviation Law and Policy, DePaul University College of Law, Spring 2009 Volume 8
- ?The Erosion of Secrecy in Air Disaster Litigation?, Issues in Aviation Law and Policy, DePaul University College of Law, Spring 2011 Volume 10
- Guest Lecturer, Illinois Institute of Technology/Chicago-Kent College of Law, 2009 - 2011
Professional Associations and Memberships
- American Bar Association
- Illinois State Bar Association
- Chicago Bar Association
- Lake County Bar Association
- Illinois Trial Lawyers Association
- American Association for Justice
- American College of Board Certified Attorneys, Fellow
Pro Bono Activities
- Director, Stephen M. Hoenig Memorial Actors Fund